- 1 How much does it cost to register a trademark in Nigeria?
- 2 Where do I register my trademark in Nigeria?
- 3 How do I trademark a name in Nigeria?
- 4 Who is in charge of trademark registration in Nigeria?
- 5 Can I put TM on my logo?
- 6 How much is trademark registration?
- 7 Can trademark registration be done online?
- 8 What is needed for trademark registration?
- 9 How do I register a trademark?
- 10 Who can own a trademark?
- 11 Does trademark expire in Nigeria?
- 12 Can an individual own a trademark in Nigeria?
How much does it cost to register a trademark in Nigeria?
The cost of registering trademark in Nigeria ordinarily includes the filing fees and the professional fee of the lawyer or agent handling such application. The total cost, including the professional fee for registering a trademark, may range between $450 to about $600.
Where do I register my trademark in Nigeria?
Registration of trademark in Nigeria is effected at the Trademark, Patents and Designs Registry, Commercial Law Department, Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, Area 1, Garki, Abuja.
How do I trademark a name in Nigeria?
What are the Requirements for Trademark Registration in Nigeria?
- Applicant’s details (I.e, Name of Company, Individual or Firm)
- Contact detailsof the applicant.
- Power of attorney appointing the trademark agent. (
- A copy of device, logo, word or words proposed for trademarking.
Who is in charge of trademark registration in Nigeria?
A trademark agent and patent attorney such as the Resolution Law Firm maintains two offices in Lagos and an annex office in Abuja where a trademark and patent application can be submitted for registration.
Can I put TM on my logo?
The trademark symbol ( TM ) is a mark that companies often use on a logo, name, phrase, word, or design that represents the business. The ( TM ) symbol actually has no legal meaning. You can use the symbol on any mark that your company uses without registering it.
How much is trademark registration?
How Much Does It Cost to Register A Trademark? To register a trademark, the cost of U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) fees are between $225 and $600, while attorney fees add $500 to $2,000 more.
Can trademark registration be done online?
Registration of a trademark is done by the registry of the trademarks. When you plan on registering a trademark there are a few steps involved. Mark search: You can either do this yourself by going to the online website of the Controller general of patents, designs and trademarks.
What is needed for trademark registration?
Legal Requirements for Registering Your Trademark
- The trademark must be applied for under the actual owner’s name.
- The applicant must specify what type of entity it is (individual, corporation, etc.)
- The application must be based on actual use or a real intent to use the trademark in commerce.
How do I register a trademark?
The process to get a trademark registered involves filing of the trademark registration application, examination of the trademark, publication or advertisement of the trademark, opposition (objections) if raised/ found, registration of the trademark and renewal of the trademark after every 10 years.
Who can own a trademark?
A trademark application may only be filed by the owner of the mark. Normally, the owner of a mark is the person who applies the mark to goods that he or she produces, or uses the mark in the sale or advertising of services that he or she performs.
Does trademark expire in Nigeria?
In Nigeria, trademarks are valid for 7 years from the date of the initial application. Following the initial period of registration, Applicants may renew trademarks from time to time.
Can an individual own a trademark in Nigeria?
Only legal or natural person may own a trademark in Nigeria. Barring all bureaucratic delays at the Registry, the entire process of registering a trademark usually takes about 12 to 18 months.