- 1 How much is plantain sold in Nigeria?
- 2 How much does plantain cost?
- 3 Where can I get plantain in Nigeria?
- 4 How can I start plantain farming in Nigeria?
- 5 How many months does it take plantain to produce?
- 6 How many plantain can I plant per acre?
- 7 Are plantains cheap?
- 8 Is a plantain a banana?
- 9 When can I buy plantains?
- 10 What crop can be planted with plantain?
- 11 How do you plant plantain plantations?
- 12 How do bananas grow in Nigeria?
- 13 Is plantain a cash crop?
- 14 How do you fertilize plantains?
- 15 How many types of plantain do we have?
How much is plantain sold in Nigeria?
In the open market, a bunch of plantain costs about N750 to N2,000 if you are selling to the final consumers directly without processing it. On one acre of land you can plant 750 plantain suckers and you sell them at an average of N1,000 per bunch then you will makeN750,000.
How much does plantain cost?
Fresh Whole Plantains (5lb) Tropical Importers
|Price:||$11.49 ($0.14 / Ounce)|
|You Save:||$1.03 (8%)|
Where can I get plantain in Nigeria?
Nigeria Plantain Dealers and Suppliers
- 1Jovana Farms. Owerri-Aba Express Road, Airport Junction, Umuowa, Ngor-Okpalla, Imo State Nigeria.
- 2Sacel Precious Farms Limited.
- 3Sedulus Plantain Farming Ltd.
- 4Kuntry Agri-Farm.
- 5Pineapple and Plantain Farm.
- 6Unique A Food Ventures.
How can I start plantain farming in Nigeria?
To Start a Plantain Farming ( Plantain Plantation ) business:
- GET A LAND. The first step in starting a plantain farm is acquiring a farmland.
- PREPARE THE LAND/SOIL.
- BUY HEALTHY PLANTAIN SUCKERS.
- GET LABOR.
- PLANT THE SUCKERS.
- WEEDING AND FERTILIZER APPLICATION.
How many months does it take plantain to produce?
How Long Does it Take For a Plantain Tree to Make Fruit? Plantains are usually ready for harvest anywhere from 14 to 20 months depending on the climate and other factors. Flowering usually happens within 10-15 months, while an additional 4-8 months is needed for fruit it develop and ripen.
How many plantain can I plant per acre?
Plant density: For plantains use 1,000 to 1,200 plants per acre with planted distances of 6´x 6´ or 6´x 7´ for the mountainous zone, and 10´x 4´ for the coastal plains.
Are plantains cheap?
Who doesn’t love plantains? Not only are they yummy, sweet and cravable, but they are super cheap!
Is a plantain a banana?
The term “ plantain ” refers to a type of banana with a very different flavor profile and culinary application than the sweet, yellow banana with which most people are familiar. Plantains are usually larger and tougher than bananas, with much thicker skin. They may be green, yellow or very dark brown.
When can I buy plantains?
It’s usually hard to find ripe ones at the grocery store. Typically, plantains have to be purchased green and left to ripen on the counter. Depending on the time of year and temperature, they can take anywhere from a few days to a week to ripen.
What crop can be planted with plantain?
Soil: Plantain grows best in deep soil that is well drained and rich in organic matter. Fallow land can also be used, but the yield will depend on what was previously grown and the duration of the fallow. Plantain can be grown together with other types of compatible crops (cocoa, cocoyam) or as a single crop.
How do you plant plantain plantations?
Initial plantain plant care requires well-draining soil, regular watering and protection from wind or frost. Choose a sunny, warm area of your garden and dig a hole that is as deep as the root ball. Plant the plantain at the same level it was growing in the pot. Keep the plantain 4-6 feet (1-2 m.)
How do bananas grow in Nigeria?
How to start a banana plantation in Nigeria
- Acquire land for the banana farm. Bananas plants thrive well in an average climate; in other words, they thrive in any area that is neither too hot or too cold.
- Get healthy banana suckers.
- Plant the suckers.
- Maintain the banana plantation.
Is plantain a cash crop?
Plantain is easy to cultivate and maintain, unlike other cash crops that require so much time and money to maintain. Plantain farming is a low capital agricultural business and almost every Nigerian soil is good for plantain plantation as experience has shown.
How do you fertilize plantains?
Always use 1 cup of fertilizer for every inch of trunk diameter and then water thoroughly. Fruit Tree Spray: This is 100 per cent organic, liquid and made up of chicken manure and/or sewage sludge. It contains a Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium ratio of 5-4-2 to enhance strong root development and more abundant fruit.
How many types of plantain do we have?
Two groups of plantains are thought to have a common origin: the horn plantain and the French plantain. Both types grow in India, Africa, Egypt, and tropical America. The French plantains also occur in Indonesia and the islands of the Pacific.