- 1 Where is cocoa grown in Nigeria?
- 2 Which state in Nigeria is the highest producer of cocoa?
- 3 Where is cocoa found?
- 4 Can cocoa be grown in northern Nigeria?
- 5 Who is the first man to plant cocoa in Nigeria?
- 6 How much is bag of cocoa in Nigeria?
- 7 Who is the largest exporter of cocoa?
- 8 Which country imports the most cocoa?
- 9 Which state is cocoa grown mostly?
- 10 Which countries grow cocoa?
- 11 Which country produces the best cocoa beans?
- 12 What is the best cocoa in the world?
- 13 How many years does it take cocoa to produce?
- 14 How many years does Cocoa take to grow?
- 15 How long does it take cocoa to bear fruit?
Where is cocoa grown in Nigeria?
The largest cocoa producing state in Nigeria is Ondo. Other leading cocoa producing states include Ogun, Akwa Ibom, Edo, Ekiti, Osun. Together these states along with Ondo are responsible for 60% of the cocoa production in Nigeria.
Which state in Nigeria is the highest producer of cocoa?
Ondo state is the largest producer of cocoa in Nigeria. The state records an output capacity estimated at 77,000 tons per annum.
Where is cocoa found?
About 70 percent of the world’s cocoa beans come from four West African countries: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria and Cameroon. The Ivory Coast and Ghana are by far the two largest producers of cocoa, accounting for more than 50 percent of the world´s cocoa.
Can cocoa be grown in northern Nigeria?
That’s the reason why you’ll not want tos start a cocoa farm in the northern part of Nigeria. Cocoa farm would only do well in states like Ondo, Ogun, Rivers, Cross River, Osun, Oyo, Ekiti, Imo, I mean, all the western, Eastern and Southern states of Nigeria where there are much rain and not much sun.
Who is the first man to plant cocoa in Nigeria?
In his letter to the Journal, he was adamant that the first person to plant cocoa in West Africa was a Nigerian man who went by the name Captain James Pinson Labulo Davies.
How much is bag of cocoa in Nigeria?
1 Tonne of cocoa at Ore, Ondo State: ₦730,000 – ₦750,000. 1 Tonne of cocoa at Ife Central, Osun State: ₦730,000 – ₦750,000. 1 Tonne of cocoa at Akoko Edo, Edo State: ₦730,000 – ₦760,000. 1 Tonne of cocoa at Ikom, Cross River State: ₦710,000 – ₦730,000.
Who is the largest exporter of cocoa?
In 2019, Ivory Coast was the world’s leading cocoa bean exporter, based on export value. That year, the Ivory Coast exported about 3.57 billion U.S. dollars worth of cocoa beans worldwide. Leading cocoa bean exporters worldwide in 2019 (in million U.S. dollars)
|Export value in million U.S. dollars|
Which country imports the most cocoa?
In 2020, the Netherlands was the world’s leading cocoa bean importer, with imports valuing about 2.28 billion dollars. In the previous year, the Ivory Coast exported about 3.58 billion U.S. dollars worth of cocoa beans worldwide.
Which state is cocoa grown mostly?
Although cocoa is mostly grown in fourteen of the Thirty-six Nigerian States, the main producing states (aside from Cross River, in the South East) are located in the South West of the country, with most production areas located in: Edo, Ekiti, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo (Figure 4).
Which countries grow cocoa?
Top 10 cocoa producing countries in the world
- Colombia. Colombia is the tenth largest cocoa producer in the world yielding 56,808 tonnes of cocoa in 2017, grown on over 200,000 hectares of land.
- The Dominican Republic.
Which country produces the best cocoa beans?
Ecuador. Ecuador is home to some of the best cacao beans in the world. Only approximately 5% of cacao in the world is labeled as “Fine Aroma,” and Ecuador produces nearly 63% of it.
What is the best cocoa in the world?
Rare cacao varietals such as Nacional and Porcelana have been found in parts of northern South America, and many people regard those as some of the best cocoa beans in the world. The Caribbean island of Trinidad only grows trinitario cacao, a highly flavorful type of cacao developed on the island hundreds of years ago.
How many years does it take cocoa to produce?
After cocoa seeds are planted, it usually takes between three and five years to yield the first crop. Cocoa Hybrid varieties however can yield crops within two and three years. Most countries have two periods of peak production per year: A main harvest, and a smaller harvest.
How many years does Cocoa take to grow?
With proper care, most cocoa trees yield pods by the fourth or fifth year and can continue for another 30 years. A typical pod contains 30 to 40 beans and there are about 30 pods per tree; approximately 400 dried beans are required to make one pound of cocoa.
How long does it take cocoa to bear fruit?
5. It takes about 5 years for the tree to bear fruit, has a peak growing period of 10 years, but can extend for decades. 6. Cacao pods take 4-5 months to grow, several weeks to ripen, and are cut from the tree with a sharp blade.